Most of the users want to change the default location where metro style apps are installed in windows 8. You might probably face the same issue if you are using a small size SSD (Solid State Disk) drive for your operating system and you don’t want it to be consumed by numerous apps.
Well here is the solution for you; from this tutorial you can learn how to change the default installation location of windows 8 metro style apps.
Before starting to follow this tutorial, we urge you to create a restore point in windows 8 so that if anything goes wrong, you can restore to get things working. Now to change the default location, follow these steps:
- Go to your registry editor by typing regedit in the RUN box.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx
- Change the permissions of the Apex folder by right clicking on it.
- For the owner information, give Full Control to your Administrator account there.
- Now edit the string value by double clicking on the PackageRoot
- Change the Value Data to some other folder in your second partition which is other than the primary partition where the OS is installed.
This is all you have to do. For the changes to take effect, simply reboot your computer and try installing some app from windows 8 app store now.
Problems Associated with Tweak:
Note that though this method helps many but still you can run into some problems, like if you do anything wrong, you may get your apps corrupted and won’t be able to run or install new apps. So to be on the safe side, do not forget to create the restore point.
Also if you correctly edited the default app installation path by following this tutorial and everything seems to be working fine, another issue that will still arise is the update of previously installed app, meaning that those apps won’t be illegible for update because the installation path has now been changed.
A simple solution for this is to change the default installation location back to the default one, uninstall your apps, change the location to newer ones and then reinstall your apps again. This will solve the case