How to Run Full Screen Games in Windows 8

By  · Monday, Nov 12, 2012 12 Comments

If you are a hardcore gamer and have shifted to windows 8, you must have faced this issue of running games in a square window with black borders on sides. This problem usually arises if you are on a laptop or even a desktop with wide screen.

By default windows 8 do not run most of the games in widescreen resolution so you get black borders on the left and right sides of the screen. If you have built-in nvidia or ATI graphics card, those do come with a management panel that have the option to maintain the aspect ratio and stretch things to full screen on a wide screen resolution even if they do not support it.

So this tutorial is specifically made for Intel Graphics card that are not able to stretch things on full screen and run full screen games on a squared resolution. All you have to do is to follow these easy steps and you will be good to play full screen games.

First of all right click on your desktop and go to change resolution settings, and set your resolution to the minimum available resolution.

Once you have switched your resolution to the lowest available settings there, you will also see and option: Advanced settings. Click on that and you will be presented with the following dialogue box.

Switch to Intel (R) Graphics and Media Control Panel tab and in the  Scaling options, set it to Scale Full Screen. Save your settings and now all you need to do is to switch back to your default resolution i.e. the one you generally use.

From now on you will be able to run all the games in full screen mode without any borders. This method will also make those games full screen even if they do not have aspect ratio options in there video settings.

Tags: , , , ,

12 Comments

1. dinesh says:

thank u. . ..

2. JamesGmario says:

I don’t have the “Intel (R) Graphics and Media Control Panel tab”.

• Which company’s graphics card you have? If it is Intel, then you should have this TAB, try updating your driver. And if it Nvidia or ATI, then download their software, they come with many built-in options.

But first of all make sure which GFX Card you have in your machine.

3. Dave Meehan says:

I have the same problem. I own a Surface Pro and do not have the Intel logo as well.

4. David says:

I don’t have “scale full screen” I only have “Maintain display scaling” option what do I do?

5. Jeff says:

I also do not have “scale full screen” only “maintain display scaling”. What can I do?

6. Please check and see which company’s graphics card you have and have you installed the correct drivers?

7. supram says:

I don’t have that Intel graphics tab plus scaling option what can I do??? please show proper steps for such peoples

8. waltrick says:

Its not working with me. I have a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.

9. santosh says:

this technique reduces the display quality ,I mean if you are decreasing the resolution then you are decreasing the quality of graphics, pleaseeeee give any different technique ,I want clarity in graphics ,and I have windows 8 ,NVidia GeForce GT 620M ,AND 4 GB RAM AND i3 Intel.

• Totally agreed, as this is simply stretching a square thing to a rectangular place. If you have Nvidia card, you can find similar setting in nVidia control panel or even some games now come with support for wide screen.
      Please check the graphics/display options of the game you are playing.

10. gaxx says:

hello I don’t have the option scale full screen mod but on maintain display scaling and customize aspect ratio .please tell me what can I do.