If you are keen about your computer security and want it to be flawless, then you should use some solid anti virus for your PC’s protection against threats. With Windows 8, Microsoft has bundled Windows Defender as a complete PC anti virus but a lot of people ask should they continue using Windows Defender or opt for some third-part antivirus?
Well if you are more of a Microsoft fan and love to use their products then you must have known the famous Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for Windows 7. It is a free and complete antivirus tool that gets updates from Microsoft and works flawlessly with Windows 7. Salient feature of this antivirus is that it is very light and runs smoothly without causing your PC to work slow.
MSE is now Windows Defender in Windows 8 and is in the box so you don’t have to install it yourself. And to answer the main question, NO! You do not need to have any 3rd party antivirus. Windows Defender performs this job pretty well.
Choosing Windows Defender over other antivirus has many reasons out of which the most important is that most of the famous antivirus are yet not compatible with Windows 8 and while isntalling you even get a warning that this antivirus is not compatible with Windows 8. Ignoring this warning and installation of antivirus has resulted in Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).
Other reasons about why you should go for Windows Defender:
- You will have to pay for the third party antivirus license while with Windows 8 you get free Windows Defender that works pretty much same like other antivirus.
- Backed by Microsoft, you get free updates for Windows Defender
- Very light weight as compared to other antivirus
- Unlike other antiviruses, it runs in background and you won’t even notice a glitch in your work performance or any lag
- Offers Spywares protection
- Uses same virus definition as Microsoft Security Essentials
- Supports both 32bit and 64bit operating system
If you still want to use third party antivirus instead of Windows Defender, then you should disable Windows Defender in Windows 8 before installing any other antivirus because running two antiviruses in parallel has resulted in BSOD in Windows 8.