With the new version of Windows i.e. Windows 8 – Microsoft has introduced New Start and Metro Style Modern UI. So unlike previous Start ‘Menu’, you get a start screen and have to switch between this screen and your running applications.
For this switching, two controls are provided on the left and right edge of the screen. So as your move your mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen, a menu bar appears – know as Charms Bar or to the top left corner of the screen for Switcher Menu.
You can see both of these menus on the following screenshot:
But if you find these controls annoying as most of your work in on classic desktop then you can disable them with a simple registry tweak.
Using this registry tweaks, these edge panels will be not disabled permanently. You can reactivate them from the Windows Registry by following the same procedure you opted for disabling.
How to Disable Charms Bar and Switcher:
- Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in Run Dialogue box.
- In registry editor, navigate to the following folder:
- Here, create a new key and name it as EdgeUI
- Now click on the EdgeUI key create two new DWORD values in the right pane, named as:
- Set it’s value to 1 – Doing this will disable the Switcher to appear if you move your mouse pointer to the Top Left corner.
- Set it’s value to 1 – Doing this will make Charms Bar not to appear if you move your mouse pointer to top right or bottom right corner.
Note: To enable these menu again, simply set the value to 0 or delete the keys.
If this trick is not working for you, then try downloading the following ready-made registry files and simply double click on them to Enable/Disable this feature.